Latest news
Thumbnail
World

33  People Killed In Libya Car Bombs

At least 33 people were killed and dozens more wounded on Tuesday in twin car bombings in the Libyan city of Benghazi, Reuters reported. 

According to Libyan officials the first car bomb occurred outside a mosque in Benghazi’s central Al Salmani district when worshippers were leaving after evening prayers. 

Reuters reported the second blast occurred about 10 to 15 minutes later when first responders, including health and security force members, arrived at the scene. 

Officials said that Ahmed al-Feitouri from the investigation and arrest unit attached to the general command of east Libyan security forces was killed and another senior intelligence official Mahdi al-Fellah was wounded in the blasts.

According to health officials, the casualty toll may raise as some of the wounded are in critical condition. 

So far no group has claimed responsibility.

The United Nations has condemned the attack saying that direct or indiscriminate attacks on civilians are prohibited under international humanitarian law and constitute war crimes.

Benghazi has been the scene of more than three years of conflict - from 2014 until late last year.

World

33  People Killed In Libya Car Bombs

The first explosion happened as people were leaving a mosque in Benghazi, while the second bomb targeted first responders. 

Thumbnail

At least 33 people were killed and dozens more wounded on Tuesday in twin car bombings in the Libyan city of Benghazi, Reuters reported. 

According to Libyan officials the first car bomb occurred outside a mosque in Benghazi’s central Al Salmani district when worshippers were leaving after evening prayers. 

Reuters reported the second blast occurred about 10 to 15 minutes later when first responders, including health and security force members, arrived at the scene. 

Officials said that Ahmed al-Feitouri from the investigation and arrest unit attached to the general command of east Libyan security forces was killed and another senior intelligence official Mahdi al-Fellah was wounded in the blasts.

According to health officials, the casualty toll may raise as some of the wounded are in critical condition. 

So far no group has claimed responsibility.

The United Nations has condemned the attack saying that direct or indiscriminate attacks on civilians are prohibited under international humanitarian law and constitute war crimes.

Benghazi has been the scene of more than three years of conflict - from 2014 until late last year.

Share this post