The ousted Balkh governor Atta Mohammad Noor has rejected claims that he has reached an agreement with the presidential palace (ARG) over his replacement.
Noor said on his Facebook page that reports of him having agreed to the reappointment of former Balkh governor Ishaq Rahgozar to the post were “baseless”.
This comes after a source said on Tuesday that government and Noor had reached an agreement.
Noor’s party, Jamiat-e-Islami, also rejected the claims on Tuesday and said it was not aware of the decision.
However, Afzal Hadid, a close aide to Noor said that Ishaq Rahgozar, Farhad Azimi and Alam Khan Azadi had all been recommended as replacements for Noor a while back.
“The results of talks will be made clear very soon. The disagreements over Balkh governor’s office have been resolved,” he said on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, a spokesman for Engineer Daud, who was initially appointed to take over as Balkh governor by President Ashraf Ghani, said he is the incumbent governor and that he rejects the reports.
“Neither a reliable source, ARG (Presidential Palace), nor the Independent Directorate of Local Governance or the Jamiat negotiations delegation have approved the report. It is nothing more than a rumor,” Ahmad Feroz Isar, a spokesman for Daud, told TOLOnews.
This comes after Afghanistan's Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Abdullah Abdullah said at the Council of Ministers Meeting on Monday that issues between government and ousted Balkh governor Atta Mohammad Noor will be resolved soon.
“Resolving political tensions for peace is important. Peace will be guaranteed if unity is in place. Issues relating to Balkh province are being resolved,” said Abdullah.
In December last year, the Presidential Palace announced that Ghani had approved Noor’s resignation as governor of Balkh.
Noor refused to step down however stating he would only do so once government met a list of his party’s demands.
Noor also accused government leaders of being dictators.
Jamiat party members and government have been locked in talks on-and-off for the past two months without any resolution being found.
But, the presidential palace has reiterated that Noor’s case will be tackled on the basis of the law.