Latest news
Thumbnail
Elections 2018

IECC Says More Candidates Will Be Disqualified

The IECC deputy head says the decision to disqualify candidates is final and that no one the right to interfere in their affairs. 

The Independent Electoral Complaints Commission (IECC) has not rejected the possibility that more candidates will be removed from the final list of parliamentary elections candidates. 

Addressing a press conference, IECC commissioners said they have issued warning to some candidates in the final list and that they will also be disqualified if the commission receives further evidence against them. The IECC spokesman Ali Reza Rouhani did not name any specific candidate when he made the remarks.

“No department has the authority to violate our decisions. Thus, all individuals and departments should seriously consider the law when making remarks,” Rouhani said. 

“Those who have created problems and disorder should pay attention that they already have committed serious violations,” said Ghulam Dastgir Hedayat, member of the IECC. 

The IECC has disqualified 35 candidates from the final list of the candidates. The move has met with harsh criticism from the candidates whose names have been dropped from the list. In protest to this move, the Independent Election Commission’s offices have been closed in Kabul, Balkh and other provinces.

Some government officials have supported the disqualified candidates, the IECC deputy head Humaira Haqmal said. She said some candidates are helped by government officials to close offices of the election commission in parts of the country.

The move to close the offices of the election commission is in contravention of the law, she said.

“People should be assured that we have done and will do our jobs independently and neutral,” said Haqmal. 

Some disqualified candidates meanwhile said their disqualification by the IECC is in contravention of the law and that they will continue their protests. 

“Daesh has not committed the oppression against us that the IECC has done,” said Qais Hassan, a disqualified candidate. 

“We will continue our struggles (protest) until the last moment and will not allow elections to be held in Badakhshan,” said Maryam Kofi, a disqualified candidate. 

The IECC members called on government to take legal action against all those who create hurdles for the electoral process. 

The Independent Electoral Complaints Commission (IECC) removed 35 names from the final list of parliamentary elections' possible candidates on August 11.

Earlier this month, the IECC assigned a special committee for investigation of possible links of some candidates with illegal armed groups, as well as involvement in security issues, coordinated crimes, drug smuggling and misuse of public and private assets.

The following names have been removed from the final list of parliamentary candidates.

•    Mohibullah, Ahmad Shah Shams, Amanullah Hotaki from Uruzgan;

•    Abdul Rahman Shaheedani from Bamiyan;

•    Fawzia Kofi, Maryam Kofi, Mohammad Nabi Bayan and Abdul Samad Abdul Hameed from Badakhshan;

•    Assadullah Sharifi from Balkh;

•    Sayed Jafar Naderi, Assadullah Islamzoi and Hayatullah Wafa from Baghlan;

•    Ghulam Haidar Jailani and Noor Ahmad Sikandar from Parwan;

•    Allah Mir and Nawid Ibrahimkhail from Paktia;

•    Bashir Qanet and Assadullah Ayub from Takhar;

•    Liyaqatullah Babakarkhail and Jabar Jabarkhail from Khost;

•    Masooma Khawari, Mohammad Asif Azimi and Raees Khairullah from Samangan;

•    Sakhi Nawid from Faryab;

•    Qais Hassan, Mawlawi Tarakhail, Sayed Daud Naderi, Sedaqat Zahid, Ziaulhaq Amarkhail, Ehsanullah Atif, Shir Ali Ahmadzai and Zardad Faryadi from Kabul;

•    Shayista Baz Naseri from Kunduz;

•    Akbar Stanekzai from Logar;

•    And Jawed Zaman from Nangarhar.

Elections 2018

IECC Says More Candidates Will Be Disqualified

The IECC deputy head says the decision to disqualify candidates is final and that no one the right to interfere in their affairs. 

Thumbnail

The Independent Electoral Complaints Commission (IECC) has not rejected the possibility that more candidates will be removed from the final list of parliamentary elections candidates. 

Addressing a press conference, IECC commissioners said they have issued warning to some candidates in the final list and that they will also be disqualified if the commission receives further evidence against them. The IECC spokesman Ali Reza Rouhani did not name any specific candidate when he made the remarks.

“No department has the authority to violate our decisions. Thus, all individuals and departments should seriously consider the law when making remarks,” Rouhani said. 

“Those who have created problems and disorder should pay attention that they already have committed serious violations,” said Ghulam Dastgir Hedayat, member of the IECC. 

The IECC has disqualified 35 candidates from the final list of the candidates. The move has met with harsh criticism from the candidates whose names have been dropped from the list. In protest to this move, the Independent Election Commission’s offices have been closed in Kabul, Balkh and other provinces.

Some government officials have supported the disqualified candidates, the IECC deputy head Humaira Haqmal said. She said some candidates are helped by government officials to close offices of the election commission in parts of the country.

The move to close the offices of the election commission is in contravention of the law, she said.

“People should be assured that we have done and will do our jobs independently and neutral,” said Haqmal. 

Some disqualified candidates meanwhile said their disqualification by the IECC is in contravention of the law and that they will continue their protests. 

“Daesh has not committed the oppression against us that the IECC has done,” said Qais Hassan, a disqualified candidate. 

“We will continue our struggles (protest) until the last moment and will not allow elections to be held in Badakhshan,” said Maryam Kofi, a disqualified candidate. 

The IECC members called on government to take legal action against all those who create hurdles for the electoral process. 

The Independent Electoral Complaints Commission (IECC) removed 35 names from the final list of parliamentary elections' possible candidates on August 11.

Earlier this month, the IECC assigned a special committee for investigation of possible links of some candidates with illegal armed groups, as well as involvement in security issues, coordinated crimes, drug smuggling and misuse of public and private assets.

The following names have been removed from the final list of parliamentary candidates.

•    Mohibullah, Ahmad Shah Shams, Amanullah Hotaki from Uruzgan;

•    Abdul Rahman Shaheedani from Bamiyan;

•    Fawzia Kofi, Maryam Kofi, Mohammad Nabi Bayan and Abdul Samad Abdul Hameed from Badakhshan;

•    Assadullah Sharifi from Balkh;

•    Sayed Jafar Naderi, Assadullah Islamzoi and Hayatullah Wafa from Baghlan;

•    Ghulam Haidar Jailani and Noor Ahmad Sikandar from Parwan;

•    Allah Mir and Nawid Ibrahimkhail from Paktia;

•    Bashir Qanet and Assadullah Ayub from Takhar;

•    Liyaqatullah Babakarkhail and Jabar Jabarkhail from Khost;

•    Masooma Khawari, Mohammad Asif Azimi and Raees Khairullah from Samangan;

•    Sakhi Nawid from Faryab;

•    Qais Hassan, Mawlawi Tarakhail, Sayed Daud Naderi, Sedaqat Zahid, Ziaulhaq Amarkhail, Ehsanullah Atif, Shir Ali Ahmadzai and Zardad Faryadi from Kabul;

•    Shayista Baz Naseri from Kunduz;

•    Akbar Stanekzai from Logar;

•    And Jawed Zaman from Nangarhar.

Share this post